In 2019, the International Catholic Center of Geneva developed the project ‘Strengthening Bolivia’s civil society in the context of the Universal Periodic Review (UPR)’, together with its member organizations Edmund Rice International and Marist International Solidarity Foundation as well as a Coalition of 18 civil society actors in Bolivia.
The project aimed to provide an avenue for the key human rights issues of the coalition to be brought to the attention of the international community on the occasion of the UPR.
Our main priorities:
- Child and youth participation
- Child labor
- Violence against women and children
- In-country consultations in Santa Cruz de la Sierra and Cochabamba, with several CSOs invited to finalize the UPR submission (in Spanish and English), consisting of recommendations to be presented to the government of Bolivia.
- Advocacy activities in Bolivia through bilateral meetings with Embassy representatives in La Paz. Two press conferences were held in Santa Cruz de la Sierra and Cochabamba to raise awareness of the issues presented in the joint submission.
- Advocacy activities in Geneva. Two representatives from the Bolivian coalition participated in twenty-one bilateral meetings with Permanent Missions to the UN in Geneva. In addition, one of them participated as speaker in the UPR Pre-session organized by UPR Info. A summary of the UPR submission was made available in Spanish and English.
- Side event ‘Addressing Implementation: Safeguarding the Rights of Children, Youth and Women in Bolivia’ held on 6 November 2019, in parallel with the UPR session, which provided the opportunity to highlight relevant recommendations directed to Bolivia, focusing on implementation. The Executive Summary of the Side Event was published in English and Spanish.
This project was realized with the support of the Canton of Geneva and Adveniat.
CCIG delivers an oral statement under the general debate under item 6 on the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) for the follow-up of the UPR of Bolivia
On 18th March 2021, an oral statement (in English and Spanish) was delivered during the General Debate under Item 6 during the 46th session of
On the 12th March 2020 the UPR Working Group Report on Bolivia was adopted at the 43rd Session of the Human Rights Council. Bolivia accepted
On 6 November 2019, CCIG hosted the side event ‘Addressing Implementation: Safeguarding the Rights of Children, Youth and Women in Bolivia’ at the Palais des
For the most recent UPR-info pre-sessions which were conducted in Geneva from the 8th to the 11th of October, CCIG facilitated the participation of a
Mauricio Siñaniz Zambrana
Secretario FMSI en Bolivia
Responsable Equipo de Solidaridad Bolivia
Secretariado FMSI Bolivia
Phone (+591) 72720541
Office Cochabamba (+591) 4 4316072
Office Santa Cruz (+591) 3 3512723